Friday, June 29, 2018

Day Three


The heat is rolling in. I can almost see the humidity building in the summer air, molecule by molecule. By Sunday we will be at 94* and the world will melt. Thank God for ice and gin.

I've started working on a novel I began two years ago based in Folly Beach, South Carolina. It's October and there's a weathered diner overlooking the ocean with a juke box that plays jazz. There are storms and the sudden appearance of strangers and human nature and sorrow. Joy piled on top of grief alongside wild hope and unforeseen possibility. I find it a bizarre thing sometimes, to write characters, infuse them with life - this corporeality that to be believable must contain tragedy as well as beauty. Frustration and euphoria in equal measure - this is life. It is a vulnerable thing to channel what I've felt, what I've dreamt, what I've mourned into words and place them within a being on a page and let go. A bit like  children; you invest and plant seeds and guide...

But luckily, if they go too astray, in a novel...I can just kill them.


No comments:

Post a Comment