Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Challenge Accepted....Reluctantly



I've had pain in my wrist for over six months. Sometimes just an ache that lingered long into the night, sometimes a knife that sliced through the day and left me gasping. I had a show to paint for, it was spring and there was planting, activities and the boys and...how many reasons could I come up with to avoid a doctor?  

X-rays revealed that I have a "positive ulnar variance" which means that my ulna (the thinner bone on the pinkie side of your wrist) is unfortunately longer than my radius. This abnormality leaves a tiny gap where there is supposed to be a cushion and things have gone awry. With an ultrasound guide, they slipped a needle into that tiny gap, filled it with magic goo, and then wrapped my arm in hot plastic to mold me a prison. 

I fought tears the entire way home, driving with my left hand, furious and grateful - a remarkable combination of emotions to cram into one skull at the same time. It's only three weeks, however, I am quite honestly almost incapable of the art of rest. Immobility is impossible. I hardly ever watch tv and crank out my days full of yardwork and boys and cooking and painting....and now I cannot chop an onion or lift a paintbrush. 

I've lain awake long into the night, alone as Jase is in New York for the week, and considered my options. (I had quite the sulk the entire afternoon, I assure you) And I've decided that while typing is challenging and I have to hold my hand weird and half of my time is spent correcting typos that even spellcheck doesn't know what the hell are...but this I can do. 

I will write. I will not go crazy. I will write. 





7 comments:

  1. you could go visit Jason in New York :) just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. hope you feel better soon and heal quickly - meanwhile Jim is around if you need anything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jase would love your suggestion - and thanks for volunteering Jim, I will holler if needed!

      Delete
  3. Hang in there and don't worry. We are all a bit crazy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of us sure don't like being slowed down and certainly not by our own fragility or lapse in good health. I'm wishing you a speedy healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, it is frustrating indeed - but perhaps may end up being fruitful? Fingers crossed...

      Delete